Asic Designer. Interested in supporting computing activities in schools.
All posts are my own opinions, and do not reflect the views of my employer.
Open to providing a 3D print service in the Cambridge, UK vicinity. See https://www.thingiverse.com/tsh2 for contact.
I'm available, in a volunteering capacity, to support education events around the Cambridge area, provided these are STEM focused, and involve specific technical activities or relate to 'typical careers and working conditions' in engineering and technology.
I'm thinking about writing a series of blog posts centred around the 'Performing Engineering Operations Level 2' NVQ qualification. There doesn't seem to be much good source material, the teaching (of assessed knowledge) is poor, and the questions asked for assessment have no real answers at all.
I'm also desperate to drag the pre-university teaching of electronics and computing way from 1970's hardware examples. I see students today learning with NE555, and 7805 - these components are as old as me, and are much less likely to be the correct choice. There are questions about pre-forming components - components are, in the main, now designed for automated pick-and-place, not wire-wrap and hand assembly.
Member for 4 years
13 profile views
Last seen Jul 17 '19 at 8:53
- Internet of Things 10k 10k 11 gold badge1919 silver badges5757 bronze badges
- Electrical Engineering 3.7k 3.7k 11 gold badge1313 silver badges2424 bronze badges
- 3D Printing 3.6k 3.6k 22 gold badges1515 silver badges3939 bronze badges
- Computer Science Educators 1.6k 1.6k 66 silver badges2323 bronze badges
- Stack Overflow 1.4k 1.4k 1414 silver badges2222 bronze badges
- View network profile
Top network posts
- 36 Can I monitor my network for rogue IoT device activity?
- 31 When is it okay to exceed the absolute maximum rating on a part?
- 29 Why are Windows 95 installation disks not uniquely bound to a single product key?
- 29 How to tell company that you will be leaving after one day of joining a remote unpaid internship
- 25 What register size did early computers use?
- 25 Is there a big jump between prototyping on a Pi, and using a microcontroller?
- 21 How do I shut down IoT devices without a power button?
- View more network posts →